Karate is actually a combination of two words: Kara (empty) and Te (hand). The definition of karate is self defense fighting with no weapons.
As a student progresses in classes for karate, students master certain skills in order to earn each of these belts. Each of these colors is said to have special meaning.
BELTS & MEANINGS
The white belt is a symbol of birth and beginning, representing the beginning of your training.
The yellow belt and orange belt both represent the sun. The colors of the “sun” intensify as the student progresses, indicating an increase in skill.
The green belt represents a sprout, as students have grown in ability from a tiny seed into a sprouted plant.
Blue represents the sky and signifies that students are continuing to grow as a martial artist
The brown belt is a representation of maturity.
Lastly a black belt is a symbol of knowledge and signifies that the student is ready to seek even greater knowledge beyond what he or she has learned
KARATE IS A HEALTHY LIFE CHOICE
Karate provides a wide range of physical, mental and social benefits and teaches healthy living habits. Some of the benefits include:
- Increases self-confidence and self-esteem
- Improves focus, concentration and attention span
- Teaches respect, self worth and humility
- Increases co-ordination and motor skills
- Teaches self-defence, self discipline and awareness
- Improves balance, agility, physical fitness
- Teaches teamwork and positive social interaction
- Karate Gives you a “complete” body workout and helps you lead a healthy lifestyle